Friday, November 11, 2005

Which gods do I have to sacrafice to for this to turn out well?

I just read on Yahoo News that Fox has ordered a pilot for a new Terminator-inspired TV series, The Sarah Connor Chronicles. It will supposedly be character-driven, and will follow Sarah and John as they are on the run, hiding from the machines, when John is still a teenager.

I really loved The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgement Day. The third movie, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, was a disappointment. I think the main reason I was unhappy with the flick* is that it didn't live up to the story development of the first two. In addition, and probably more importantly, I had read a great interpretation of what should have come next. S.M. Stirling wrote a trilogy of books: T2: Infiltrator, T2: Rising Storm, T2: Future War. If you liked the first two movies, you will love this series. Reading the series got me reading some of Stirling's other books. (All of which I got him to autograph at World Con in Boston last year.)

The new Fox series sounds more along the lines of Stirling's books in focus, though it will probably bridge the official story gap between the second and third movies. Science fiction television series have a hard road to travel to be successful. I wish this pilot well. Heck, if it succeeds, I will have another hour of television to look forward to on my very scaled back schedule.

*The above is a hint of a post to come: "Flick, Movie, or Film: Three distinct products of Hollywood"

2 comments:

briwei said...

Where can I get those books? If I recall, you had a hard time locating them, no?

Kitten Herder said...

This series isn't real hard to come by. They're still in print. There also pretty available used.

Now, the last book in the Roswell series, THAT is impossible to get (unless you want to spend $200 for a used paperback).