Friday, April 06, 2007

When exercise is bad, shoot me

Last weekend, I did something to my lower back that made it painful to walk. My right hip became inflamed. Normally, sitting has been my enemy. This week, standing and walking became my enemy.

I broke down and contacted a chiropractor friend of my husband's. I was looking for any kind of fast relief. And, after two visits, I was feeling a lot better. The pain was still there, but I could actually stand solely on my right leg without feeling like screaming. So, the real question arose: Should I go to the gym and do my normal routine on the eliptical machine. His answer was non-commital, encouraging me to do what I felt was best.

OK. Exercise has been my friend this last year. So, I opted to go for it. BAD MOVE!!! The hip and thigh pain are back. Mind you, they are not where they were on Monday, but we are not a happy camper right now.

After I got back from the gym, I had my dinner and my evening cocktail. Then, I got out the ice pack. Tomorrow morning will be the real tell. If it is painful to get out of bed, I'll really know what a bad idea going to the gym was and I won't go tomorrow. If I feel 'better' than I do right now, I may go for the recumbent bike, since that has not appeared to aggravate whatever injury I earned last weekend.

I have really enjoyed adding exercise to my life. Exercise has almost always made me feel better over the last year. Plus, it helps cover my food sins. My weight has been relatively stable over the last eight months. While I wish that I could lose another fifteen to twenty pounds, I know that I would have to give up WAY more than I could maintain in the long term. In the mean time, I really have been enjoying the jones that I get from my cardio workouts.

If this injury ruins that for me, even for just a couple of weeks, I will NOT be a happy campre.

No comments: