Friday, May 25, 2007

Yahoo and MusicMatch suck!

OK. I know that this will do no real good. However, I am so angry this morning that I have to vent a little before hitting the road for work.

For years I subscribed to MusicMatch, a program and service that used to be pretty good for managing music files and, eventually, for streaming and buying songs. Over the years the software became more and more bloated (nearly as bloated as Real.com's music software). A couple of years ago Yahoo bought them. At the time, I paid for my content access subscription annually.

This Christmas, my son and I decided to try out Yahoo Unlimited, since it allowed us to download songs to our MP3 players. My MusicMatch subscription wasn't due for renewal until late May. So, we figured we'd try the new service out for a while. If we liked the new service, I would cancel my MusicMatch subscription.

Well, the Yahoo Unlimited software is a lot less bloated than MusicMatch. Plus we really do like the ability to download to our MP3 players. So, a few weeks ago (at least 14 days before my annual subscription was due to bill me) I went online and canceled my MusicMatch annual subscription.

Imagine my surprise and outrage this morning when I checked my bank account and found that MusicMatch had billed me $71.88 for an annual subscription. This same subscription that was $59.88 last year.

I dug up a phone number to call MusicMatch subscription services. I'll post it to a comment after I've called them today (since I don't want to advertise it to the world until I've gotten my 'pound of flesh' from the idiots).

Sadly and most embarrassingly , and this is my own fault, I don't keep a lot of float in my checking account. So, I'm going to have to move some cash around today to deal with the unexpected $72 subtraction from my checking account. Even if I can get the boneheads to refund the money, it will probably take them at least a week to process.

What a way to start a long weekend!

No comments: