Thursday, June 21, 2007

How not to provide online customer service

Two days ago, I sent an email to eVoice expressing my desire to cancel the number we had set up with them eight months ago. We weren't really using it, and I decided I would like to cancel before we were billed the $4.95 for next month's service. I got an email this evening directing me to call them or to log in (with the provided link) to an online representative to do it via the web. Sounded like a good idea. Here is the dialog that ensued (some identifying information removed for my protection and that of the hard sell representative I had to deal with):

Welcome to chat.
The session has been accepted.
{eFax} Hello, ___. Welcome to j2 Global online support. I am Won't-Take-No-Guy, your online Live Support Representative. How may I assist you today?
{ME} I would like to cancel my eVoice account
{eFax} I'm sorry to hear that you wish to cancel. Could you please provide me your Fax number and PIN for verification?
{ME} Pin is ___
{ME} my phone # is ____
{eFax} Thank you for providing your information.
{eFax} Please give me a moment while I go through your records.
{eFax} Thank you for providing your information. Please give me a moment while I go through your records. In the meantime, please type the number corresponding to your reason for cancellation:

1) Moving to another provider
2) Bought a Fax machine
3) Business or role changed
4) Short term project completed
5) Financial reasons
6) Problems with Faxing or Billing
7) Dissatisfied with Quality of service
8) Too Costly

{ME} 4
{eFax} Thank you for your patience. I have located your account with the given information.
{eFax} In the current scenario and as a special consideration, your eVoice account will be credited with $9.90 so that you may utilize our services without being billed any monthly fee for the next two billing cycles.Hence, you will be able to use our service to its fullest capabilities and re-evaluate it for your faxing needs. During this credit period, you will not be charged any monthly fees.You will not be billed any monthly fee for next 2 months.
{eFax} If however, you still feel that you do not have any use for our services by the end of the two months credit period or before the 2 months credit period, then you can always contact us back anytime.
We are available 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Please feel free to contact us at any time.
{ME} I do not need another 2 months. I want to cancel now. I really do not use the number, so I do not want to have to contact you guys again in 2 months for a service I am not using.
{ME} Please cancel now.
{eFax} I am suggesting you to go for the above offer this way you can maximize the value for the money you have spent on our services. I am suggesting you the offer since you have paid for the current month the regular monthly fee and since there is no refund applicable at this moment for the monthly fee which you have paid.
{eFax} All you need to do is to get back to us anytime you want on the same chat window at the end of the two months of credit period or before the two months of credit period and let us know your decision. We are available 24/7. Please feel free to contact us at any time. We will immediately process your request.
{ME} NOW, please. I am not and will not be using the service any longer.
{ME} I do not want to have to go through this again. And, I definitely do not want to be billed next week either (which I understand you are saying you won't).
{eFax} If you wish we will provide you the next charge date to contact us you can make a note in your monthly planner and get back to us.
{ME} NO! NO! NO! NOW NOW NOW.
{eFax} Alright, I will cancel the account for you now. I'm sorry that you are leaving eFax.
At eFax, we are continuously improving our products and services. Please do consider us if your faxing needs should change in the future.
{ME} My life is too busy to take time out to contact you again.
{eFax} Is there anything else you would like to have assistance with?
{ME} No, thank you.


So, as you can see, the point here is that they do not want you to cancel. They KNOW that if they can get you to agree not to cancel at this very moment, that you will probably forget (or not bother) to contact them again in two months when they will get to bill you again.

Lovely, no?

1 comment:

RaineS said...

Pretty shabby. When we cancelled ADT (we had never in over a year, ever set the burglar alarm), we were billed $180 cancellation fee!! Yup, a cancellation fee. No way to waive it, no way to avoid it. If you don't pay the cancellation fee, they turn you over to a collection agency. Now, when you cancel their services, the ONLY thing that happens is they stop monitoring your house, so in essence, I paid $180 for them to ignore me. AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!