Thursday, October 11, 2012

Harder before it gets easier?

I get to stay home all week and get paid for the privilege.  I'm doing an intensive online training course.  The organization that is running it decided to hold classes on Central Time to be fair to attendees from all over the country.  The regular class runs from 10 a.m. until 6:30 (EST).  We are given a half hour break, and then there are evening sessions that run from 7 p.m. and 8 or 8:30 pm.  Since I normally get up around 4:30 a.m. and work from 7 a.m. until 4 p.m., this is throwing my system off.  I'm also running into scheduling conflicts with some of my normal after-work activities.

While one would think that I would be physically feeling better to be able to stay at home, mostly sitting in my comfy living room chair, you would be wrong to assume so.  I have a good set up at work.  Plus, I change positions a great deal by walking to the cafe or the restroom, or going to meetings, or just walking around when I need to.  This class is not scheduled around my body's need to take breaks.  There are hard breaks at the top of the hour for 5-10 minutes.  Lunch is an hour.  (At work, I hit the gym for just over an hour, making up the time at either end of the day.)

The classes typically involve computer-based exercises.  I have a poor history with making it through all of their exercises without running into technical difficulties.  This time around has been no exception.  Since we're playing around with some hacking tools, we need to be able to shut off our anti-virus software.  My organization has ours locked down pretty tightly.  I can probably uninstall it (but then I'd have to locate the package on our disorganized network to get it reinstalled) or get the admin password (though that might take a couple of days).

With my illness and my normal level of fatigue because of it, I'm having a hard time keeping the momentum going every day.  We're also supposed to have class on Saturday.  It's an all day team-based exercise.  In past years, the curse has carried over to the last day's exercises in spades.  With my health being a bonus feature this time around, I wrote the instructor and told him that I probably would not be able to participate on Saturday.  Part of me feels like a wuss for bowing out.  On the other hand, I need to accept that I do have some limitations.  I desperately need my weekends to recuperate from a normal work week.  There is no way that I can give up my Saturday after THIS week.

One of my "normal after-work activities" of late has been getting a B-12 shot from the doctor who is treating my Lyme Disease.  For the last week or so, I have been suffering from cold-like symptoms in the evenings.  I do have seasonal allergies but I've never had a sore throat like this before, on top of the sneezing and post-nasal drip (which is also pretty bad right now).  I was wondering if it could be a side effect of my antibiotic.  The doctor said that it could be but that it was most likely just a Fall allergy thing.

I had a dentist appointment on Friday.  I was late to it because of a screw up at the car dealership, where I was supposed to be "in and out in 15 minutes".  Anyway.  The hygienist said that I am grinding my teeth, which is why a couple are getting sensitive and also might explain why I'm waking in the middle of the night recently with a headache.

Are we having fun yet?

When I started treatment for the Lyme, my doctor warned me that about three to four weeks into treatment I might feel physically worse as the spirochetes started dying off en mass.  I'm not sure if I've entered that period or not.  Maybe I'm just having a really crappy week.

No comments: