Monday, September 04, 2006

Shopping as entertainment

Coworker S and I were having a discussion about something which devolved into a soapbox opportunity for her about American materialism. While I agree somewhat with alot that she said, she is such an extremist on so many issues that it can make me twitchy. One thing that she said did stick with me. She said that, in this country, shopping is a form of entertainment. I would have to agree with her, through personal experience. Such a mind set was a contributing factor to some credit management issues, which I recognized and got under control several years ago. I now only shop for things that we really need, or that I have wanted (and budgeted) for some time.

Since my new job pays at the end of the month, I just received my first pay check since I left my last job in mid July. My son and I were both in need of some clothing purchases. Him due to growth, me due to weight loss. It has slated to rain this entire holiday weekend. So, I decided that it was time to be entertained by some serious shopping.

The three day weekend has been great. Saturday we drove up to the outlets in Tilton, NH. Sunday, we filled in the gaps from that trip at the local Walmart and Target. Today I need to venture out alone to hunt down the last few items that couldn't be purchased at the mega-discount places. I know exactly where I can get them and how much they are going to cost me. However, just because I have budgeted the purchases and planned how they will be executed does not change the fact that I enjoy shopping. I just do it in a controlled way now.

Oddly enough, the 'control' aspect isn't just about fiscal responsibilty. I do recognize the fact that there is just way too much 'stuff' in my life. I'm not fully ready to dive head long into the voluntary simplicity movement, but I do realize that all the stuff that surrounds me does suck some of the joy and peace out of my life. That is part of the reason I am less likely to buy something that is unplanned for. But, when I plan to make a purchase, it is a guilty pleasure.

I am not sure why shopping is entertainment. Maybe I like making choices. Maybe there is a sense of freedom with having the purchasing power that I currently have. (I did grow up with very limited means, where even necessary purchases were delayed as long as possible.) Maybe I enjoy contemplating all the possibilities presented in the well lit stores. While I do enjoy shopping online for things, and finding the item I am after at a good price, I think I get more joy from a planned excursion to a brick-and-mortar store. I like the little rush I get at locating exactly what I was looking for at a price I planned to pay (or, better still, LESS).

Yes, shopping is entertainment.

3 comments:

RaineS said...

I HATE shopping, always have. I do like buying, but I hate the process of going to a store. There is too too much there, and too many people, too much noise. I also grew up with very limited means, and I LOVE the FREEDOM that comes with being able to buy what you want. It has gotten me in trouble, because I have trouble saying NO to myself, and am capable of endless rationalization about why I should get something, and get it NOW. But I think when you have been restricted or deprived for a while, it does lead to a sort of overenjoyment of the buying process. I wonder what people from the other side of the fence think? If you grew up getting whatever you wanted, is buying something a kick?

Kitten Herder said...

People who grew up with at least 'some' means probably don't get any sort of rush from the freedom of being able to buy something on a whim. I hope that we are raising our son so that he has a balanced attitude about 'acquiring', so that he doesn't feel deprived, but that he also doesn't take the aquiring process for granted.

briwei said...

That is the balancing act, isn't it. I wish I didn't enjoy yhe shopping so much. Perhaps there is a twelve step program. I don't want materialistic kids.