Friday, December 22, 2006

It's the thought that counts

I received a Christmas present today from someone at work. It was a thought present, that did not cost overly much, but showed that the giver knew something about me. The person who gave the gift is Catholic and takes the holiday pretty seriously. Then again, she takes an awful lot of things pretty seriously.

It was a very strange sensation for me to appreciate and accept this gift in the spirit in which it was given. I definitely did appreciate the gift. However, I really do not like the person who gave the gift. On a personal level, she gets on my nerves quite a bit with her self absorption and competitiveness. On a professional level, she does not listen to anyone else's opinion or take into account anyone else's experience or knowlege. She also has to be right all the time, though she pays lip service to "I'll be the first one to admit when I'm wrong." (Ha! I haven't seen that happen once in five months.) Her primary concern is she not look bad, not what is the best next step for the business.

But, like I said, I experienced a very strange sensation when I opened the gift. It did make me smile, and I appreciated her thoughtfulness in selecting and giving me the gift.

So, I suppose I'll keep my ill wishes for her in check for a couple of weeks, in the spirit of the season.

No comments: