Friday, July 03, 2009

Preparing for my retreat

I am an obsessive list maker and planner. There is probably a twelve step program for this. However, my family is so disorganized that it would be disastrous if ratcheted down to normalcy in this area.

As many of you know, I'm taking a much anticipated and salivated for vacation, cum meditation retreat, on Star Island. The only way to get there is by taking a 30 minute boat ride (Dramamine is my friend). Because of the limitations of the boat, each passenger is allowed one checked bag weighing no more than 40 pounds or two checked bags weighing no more than 25 pounds each. Passengers also get one carry on.

I have been obsessing about this for several weeks now. I don't want to get to the boat check in and be told that I have to leave some stuff behind. I also don't want to be out on the remote island without everything that I'll need/want over the course of a week.

I plan to use my carry own for my meditation bench, due to its weight and the fact that I don't want it tossed around by porters. There's room in my day pack for it along with a number of other precious and special bits (camera, iPod charger, etc.)

So, I decided that today was the day that I was going to pack my new duffel bag with all the items on the current version of my packing list to see how much it weighs.

I am stoked! My packed duffel weighed in at less than twenty pounds, and I still had some room in it! Hopefully, I'll have room for my prop pillow so I can comfortably sleep on my side.

Happy dance!

No comments: