Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers Day

One would think that Mothers Day would be the day for children to show their appreciation for their mothers. I really don't think it works out that way for most of the lives of the children. When children are little, fathers are the ones who make the effort on their behalf. When children are teens, fathers again pick up the slack, since teenagers aren't sure what to appreciate, how to show it, or where to come up with the resources to execute an appreciative plan (should one actually occur to them).

There may be a spell when children are in their early twenties when they might actually consider showing their mothers that they appreciate them. This phase continues until said children procreate and have children of their own. Then, appreciating their mothers becomes kind of an after thought. In the meanwhile, fathers try to make mothers feel appreciated.

So, let's not delude ourselves here ladies. Mothers Day is the day that our mates shows us that someone in our lives appreciates what we do for those children we raised.

(Can't you just tell that I'm have another one of those days where I'm sorely reminded that I'm the parent of a teenager?)

3 comments:

RaineS said...

I got a hug, a "happy mother's day", unprompted, and about half-way through the day, a home-made card from the teen. And you know what -- I loved it. Because every word was spelled correctly. The husband also stepped up to the plate, by cleaning the whole house, and taking the dog for an extra long walk so I could finish my paper. I don't really want a lot, because I think I've already got the most important thing -- them!

briwei said...

Did Borgin fumble the ball this weekend? Sorry to hear. I hope your hubby made up for it.

In our house, Maya was a bit preoccupied with an array of medical troubles, but Josh came through with flying colors on his own.

Anonymous said...

This, too, shall pass....

speaking from the future, so to speak, Mom was quite pleased to receive acknowledgment - and a gift of free labor - from all three of her sons, and two grandsons. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, K.H.

~ Gemin Blackmoor