Sunday, March 29, 2009

Random playlists from this week's workouts

Every morning, I get up around 5 a.m., strap my iPod onto my arm, and stumble down to the exercise bike for 30 minutes (plus or minus) of cardio to start my day. I typically let the iPod offer me tunes on shuffle, some times I skip one, some times more than one. Last week I decided to write down the tunes I let play to see if I could get some insight into my mood for the day. Since I don't feel like I have anything profound to share right now, I thought I'd share this weekend's playlists (45 minute sessions):

Saturday:

  1. Aqualung by Jethro Tull

  2. Small Things by Blink 182

  3. Bloodletting by Concrete Blonde

  4. Gangster Tripping by Fat Boy Slim

  5. China Girl by David Bowie

  6. Never Say Never by Queens of the Stone Age
  7. nice cover
  8. You Make My Dreams Come True by Hall and Oates

  9. Walking Contradiction by Green Day

  10. Dirty White Boy by Foreigner

  11. Hot Stuff by Donna Summer

  12. The KKK Took My Baby Away by the Ramones



Sunday:

  1. Longview by Green Day

  2. Murder by Crystal Method

  3. Pink by Aerosmith

  4. I Don't Want to Dance by Eddy Grant

  5. Voodoo by Godsmack

  6. Hey Jealousy by Gin Blossoms

  7. Tell Me What to Say by Black Lab

  8. Jungle Love by The Time

  9. Counting Flowers on the Wall by the Statler Brothers

  10. Splish Splash by Bobby Darin

  11. Jump by Van Halen



I'm usually faced with musical dilemmas during these shuffle plays. Songs have to be up tempo enough to fit in with my pace. Also, I sometimes skip totally appropriate songs due to over exposure (the iPod likes to give me songs that it knows that I like sometimes too much of the same song).

I'm sure there's a great volume of data/postulation out there on why the iPod offers us some of the stuff that it does during shuffle play. I've noticed that there are some songs that the iPod almost never offers me, while there are other songs that it loves to offer me nearly every session ("Press Darlings" by Adam and the Ants). I was even offered "China Girl" a second time during yesterday's workout.

I'm looking forward to a new download being offered, though it may not be up tempo enough for a workout: "Re: Your Brains" by Jonathan Coulton, recommended by my friend Cobwebs over at Shadowmanor. The song fits in well with the following that she also posted (pardon the blatant thievery):


Other recent music downloads/rips that I'm pretty happy about: the soundtrack from Henry Poole is Here, the soundtrack to Crime and Punishment in Suburbia, the soundtrack to Bones (tv show that I've never watched) and the score to Twilight (the movie). On the Henry Poole soundtrack, I'm particularly fond of the Eels tune "Love of the Loveless". They've appeared on numerous soundtracks now, and never a miss in the lot.

Probably will see Monsters vs Aliens next weekend. Trailer looked great, but we were way too busy this weekend to get around to it.

No comments: