Sunday, June 25, 2006

100th post. 40th pound.

This is my 100th post to this blog. Part of me wishes that I had something more earth shaking to post about, but I'll take what I can get.

I've been somewhat plateaued at the same weight since the end of April. In the last two weeks, I have successfully dropped below (and stayed below) the dreaded 200 mark. Most of my pants are size 16. While my current weight and size are not someplace I want to stay, they are SO much better than where I have been living for the last few years.

I have lost 40 pounds since January 2nd. I would like to lose another 30, and keep it all off. Hopefully, this will keep me from the cardiovascular diseases that killed off both my grandfathers before they were 50 (one before he was 30), and a grandmother before she was 70.

My own mother was on cholesterol and high blood pressure medicine before she died. Though she died of lung cancer, I am sure the other issues would have finished her before she hit 75, if not sooner. After she passed away I found evidence in her home that she had tried to quit smoking on several occasions. Even so, her family history of cardiovascular diseases, with decades of smoking, did not bode well for her longevity.

My own stumbling block with longevity will be that I have spent the majority of my life at least 20% overweight. Carrying all that excess around has been wearing out my bodily systems faster than I would like. I hope that it's not too late to slow the clock down. I really would like to live another 40 years or so. Heck, I think I may just be starting to get the hang of this whole living thing. ;)

1 comment:

RaineS said...

From everything I've read, it is not TOO LATE. Losing weight at any time in your life will add years to your life. While genetics is an important component in longevity, its not the only thing in the mix (thank the gods!!) -- lifestyle and attitude are also major components. Enjoy life, live right and you can live longer....