Thursday, April 13, 2006

Dressing up vs dressing down

Since I've lost quite a bit of weight since the first of the year, and I've been interviewing, I've picked up some new clothes. I haven't picked up a lot, because I plan to keep losing weight. In any event, I periodically will wear some of the new clothes to work. Mind you, I'm not wearing the REALLY nice stuff. However, I sometimes forgoe the jeans and polo shirt look everyone has come to expect from me for a slight step up.

My goodness! People will take note. On Monday I had on a short sleeve sweater and a pair of somewhat casual olive colored cotton trousers. Today I wore a very similar outfit. Several people who know I am interviewing asked if I had an interview, both Monday and today. I get the fact that I normally dress pretty comfortable and "down". But, geesh, I actually wouldn't wear either outfit to an interview. The outfits were pretty comfortable. Yes, jeans are more comfortable. But, still, neither outfit is nice enough to make a decent impression in an interview, in my opinion.

I guess it just goes to show you, if you lower people's expectations of you, it certainly doesn't take much to impress them.

No comments: