Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's not about the answer, it's about the question

Looking over my last few posts, I noticed that all the titles were posed as questions. I wondered why that was. Maybe it is easier to creatively respond when answering a question. I don't really feel like I have answers to most of the questions that absorb my mind. However, I do feel like I grow as a person every time I think on a question and all the possible answers. It may seem trite. And, this post title was meant to elude to an idea that has become somewhat trite, but that I believe still has value: It's about the journey, not about the destination.

On a related note, I saw a bumper sticker today that made me smirk: "Jesus is the answer". My initial thought was, I didn't know I was asking a question. Then I mused a bit on all the questions that "Jesus" would be a very silly answer for.


  • How many angels would fit on the head of a pin?
  • How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck would chuck wood?
  • How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop?
  • Who shot J.R.?
  • When will Susan Lucci win a Daytime Emmy?
  • Is it wrong to wear white after Labor Day?
  • Is there intelligent life in the universe, including planet Earth?
  • Does bread usually fall butter side down? (actually, Myth Busters tried to answer this)
  • Was that the guy-at-the-gym's real hair?
  • Is fertility inversely proportional to IQ?


I really do believe that life is about asking questions, about making the journey. So, anyone who is willing to accept a prepackaged answer is devaluing their life.

No comments: