Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Lucky duck

This is an amazing story to me.

So, a hunter's wife opens the refridgerator door and one of her husband's 'dead ducks' lifts its head to look at her. So, what does the family do with the duck? They take it to the vet.

Huh?

What amazes ME about this story isn't that the duck lived. It isn't that the duck coded during surgery and they brought it back to life again. No. It's that the HUNTER's family went to all this trouble to revive a duck that they intentionally shot and assumed was dead.

Don't get me wrong. I am VERY happy for Perky the Duck. I just don't get the HUNTER's family. Why didn't the wife just cut the grievously injurred duck's throat when she saw that it was still alive? Her husband shot the duck. They were going to clean it and eat it.

I guess they were overwhelmed with the miracle of the duck's tenacity. Perhaps they were so impressed or amazed with the duck's ability to live through being shot and shut up in a refridgerator for two days that they decided that it deserved to live.

On the other hand, I hope the duck lives someplace other than the hunter's house while he recuperates. If I were him, I wouldn't want to hang out someplace where I could have been dinner, and where (I'm sure) some of his fellows still will be dinner.

No comments: