Monday, January 01, 2007

Most recruiters are moronic slime

Let me state, up front, that I am not actively looking to leave my current position. However, if something worthwhile presented itself that would allow me to significantly shorten the two hours I spend on the road each day going back and forth to work, I'd consider it.

Last week, a recruiter emailed me and wanted to talk to me about a position. Since it is difficult for me to have such conversations during my work day, and I am not about to inconvenience myself without some inkling if it is worth my time, I replied to the email asking some questions and stating my minimum requirements for considering a move. Here they are in summary (details sent to the recruiter, who we will henceforth refer to as Moron):

  1. position must be full time with benefits (since that's what I currently have)
  2. position must not lengthen my commute
  3. position must not reduce my salary

After receiving my first email, Moron called my house and asked me to call him back, making no mention of my email. So, I emailed him a second time offering to set up a time to talk if he would reply that the position met my minimum restated requirements. Two days later, he called my house again and left another non-specific message to call him back. I decided to ignore this call. Then, on New Year's Day, he called my house again. My husband told him that the best way to communicate with my was via email. Moron stated that he had sent me an email and was just waiting for me to reply!

I was unavailable when Moron called. But, I called him back less than ten minutes later. I got his voice mail. So, I forwarded him my last email again, with the following new note:

I am sorry that I missed your call. I called you back ten minutes later and got your voice mail.

As you can tell, I am VERY difficult to reach. It would be MOST efficient and effective if you would reply to this email. Email truly is my preferred means of communication.

This will be the third time that I have sent you an email since you initially contacted me. You keep trying to reach me by phone, but you have not responded to my emails. The messages I have received make it sound as if my emails are not reaching you.

If this email reaches you, feel free to call my cell phone at xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you do not reach me, please leave a message letting me know if the position you are trying to fill meets my minimum requirements.


This was a test. I wanted to see if he called my cell phone, but yet still refused to acknowledge the vital information that I was seeking before I would expend any time talking on the phone to him.

I have dealt with a number of recruiters who employee slick hard-sell tactics to try to get me to agree to interview for positions that I am a poor fit for in any number of ways. I do not understand why they work this way. Do they think it makes them look like better recruiters to employers if they can parade a high number of candidates around for each position, even if those candidates are either unqualified or uninterested in the position?

Well, Moron finally replied to my last email. And here is absolute proof of his IQ level. See his response:
I rcvd your email thanks.

The position is located in Downtown Boston.

It is temp (2-3 months) to Perm position.

Please advise so can schedule you for interview.


Duh! Fails minimum requirements #1 & #2. So, while I usually hate to burn bridges with people, I could not let this supreme example of incompetence and wasting of my time slide. Besides, I seriously doubt that I will ever need such a loser in a job hunt in the future. With his obvious skill at his job, I also doubt that he will be in the field much longer. Here is what I sent back to him:
As I stated in several emails, I am not interested in contract positions. I am not interested in positions located south of Burlington, which was also previously stated.

Best of luck in your future success in filling positions. You will need it with your communication skills.


I am sure that there are skilled reputable technology recruiters out there. I just haven't encountered one in the last six years.

Happy New Year, even to Moron!

No comments: