Monday, January 19, 2009

100Gb's and counting

Since getting my new iMac, back in November, I have been slowly working on ripping much of my music collection to iTunes. I also picked up a 16Gb iPod.

My digital music collection was around 25Gb when I got the iMac. Today, I surpassed the 100Gb mark. Since my musical tastes are so wide and eclectic, I don't find the fact that I have over 15,000 songs that impressive. I've probably only digitized about 40% of my cd collection. In the process of digitizing my collection, I've also become aware of gaps in my music that I have been filling in with purchases.

One of my playlists is for my personal "greatest hits", it includes such artists as the Dave Matthews, Toadies, Concrete Blonde, Queen, Clannad, Animals, Eddie Rabbit, Edvard Grieg, Modest Mussorgsky, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Johnnie Horton, Johnny Cash, Butthole Surfers, Green Day, Death Cab for Cutie, Flobots, They Might Be Giants, Modern English, Cypress Hill, U2, Baha Men, Boomtown Rats, the Cure and Adam Ant. Someday, I hope to post that playlist in total. It currently has about 250 songs on it.

Music was one of the major driving factors for my move to the iMac/iPod environment. Diddling with my music collection is my primary personal computer-oriented time sink. I cannot imagine my life without music.

My mother suffered from major hearing loss. Supposedly there is a genetic predisposition to her particular condition. I had my hearing testing several times in my 30's, since that was the normal age of onset. Fortunately, I think the disease skipped me. Life would lose much of its meaning and pleasure for me if I could no longer enjoy music.

No comments: