Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Skill envy

Today's NaBloPoMo prompt: "What's one skill you wish you had? What's keeping you from learning it?"

I wish I was fluent in at least one foreign language. While it sounds lame, I think the biggest impediment has been time. Learning a foreign language is not easy. It takes dedication and practice. Then you have to use the skill periodically or it fades somewhat.

I also wouldn't mind knowing basic auto mechanics. It would be really satisfying to understand how my car works and to be able to figure out what's wrong with it when it ails. Again, I'm going to pull out the "time" reason.

There are lots of things that I'd love to learn to do or just to have knowledge of. The need to earn a living does get in the way. So, as soon as I hit that lottery jack pot I'm going on a learning bender!

No comments: