Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Day four of "the plague"

I have been sick for four solid days now. Other than a quick trip to the Mobil last night for a soda and some lottery tickets (yeah, I know. don't start with me on that), I haven't been out of the house since Saturday evening.

Yesterday I worried that I might become one of Jerry's Kids today. "Jerry" being Jerry Springer. Fortunately, I was not remotely tempted by the television today. While I was still pretty congested and foggy, I did manage to work a full day. I had an unavoidable two and a half hour nap in the middle of the day though. I highly recommend the practice even for the healthy.

I felt the worse last night. My face was very dry and felt hot to me, if not to anyone else. I finally figured out that it was dehydration at work. So, huge DUH! That whole thing about "drink plenty of fluids" utterly makes sense to me now. High tissue usage = need more fluids!!! (grin)

Needless to say, I haven't been utterly strict about following my diet. I was on Sunday and Monday. I gave in a little yesterday. Today, I had a vegan lasagna for lunch (only 300 calories). But, oh, it was SO GOOD! If I feel better tomorrow, I'm crediting the lasgna.

I have been taking my vitamins, however. Part of me says "Fat lot of good it's doing to send these germs packing." But, my husband says, "Think how sick you'd be if you weren't taking them." Fine. I'll keep taking them.

All in all, I'd really like a huge bag of potato chips and a Slurpee. Any time I'm miserable I comfort myself with really unhealthy food. When things are going well, I still overeat. But, typically, I overeat relatively healthy food when life isn't throwing me curve balls. The trick is really to learn to be moderate and not overeat. With my digestive issues, there are a lot of foods I need to avoid to not feel ill. However, there are a few that I may allow myself to treat on sometime in the distant future. Perhaps if I ever see a size 14 again.

So, all things in moderation, including cold germs. Four days is enough. Be gone foul beasties!

1 comment:

briwei said...

Yeah, I tend to go for comfort food when I'm sick. Or stressed. I need to get back on the wagon, too. I hope the lasagna works it noodly magic on you.