Sunday, July 22, 2007

Reading marathon exhaustion

Our Harry Potter books arrived yesterday afternoon. We got two copies. One copy for me and one for my son ... my husband knew that we'd finish quickly and he'd get one of them before the weekend was out. As of ten minutes ago, he could take ownership of either. My son finished before lunch time. I was the slow one.

I am so sore. With my various chronic pain issues, I don't do well staying in one position for very long. However, I refused to let pain get in the way of finishing this book. I stayed up until 1 a.m. I got up at 8 a.m. I took minor breaks for meals, hygiene, a few odd household chores, and seven hours of sleep. Otherwise, I've pretty much had my nose in the book for the last twenty four hours.

No spoilers here. There were a lot of sad parts, but some happy parts as well. By the end I really felt like crying, not just over plot points, but that it's over. Do I regret rushing through the experience? No. I couldn't have slowed down if I tried. And now I am SO tired.

Thank you J.K. Rowling for ten years of magic, wonder, and drama. And thank you for making reading popular. In it's first 24 hours, the book sold 8.3 million copies according to Scholastic. And, here's a really startling figure: the book generated more revenue this weekend than the Order of the Phoenix did in its opening weekend in the movie theater.

BRAVO!!!

6 comments:

briwei said...

We're on chapter 2. :) But we are reading it out loud and have had a pretty busy weekend.

Kitten Herder said...

I remember those days. 750 pages. It's going to be tough to stick to a chapter or two a night. I think your children would enjoy an early introduction to Starbucks iced coffee.

briwei said...

Yeah. Every moment Maya has nothing to do, she asks to read a chapter.

Anonymous said...

I still am in the Tolkien camp, even acknowledging that LotR vs. HP is a marketing tactic only, but I join you in applauding Ms. Rowling not only as as an up-from-disadvantage success story, but for actually.completing.a.series (take note, Mssrs Jordan and Martin).

barbie2be said...

i thought the book was fantastic. like you i zipped through it. when i get it back after both of my roommates read it, i plan to read it again more slowly.

Kitten Herder said...

Why, oh, why did you have to say "again"?!?!

Yes, I plan on reading it again. First, I'm going to re-read #6.

As for the curse of "again" ... Sometimes, when I hear that word, I am cursed with the mind meme of the the Teletubbies: "Again, again."

ARGH!