Wednesday, July 25, 2007

U.S. fundraiser to feature machine guns

I don't know which way to chime in on this one: U.S. fundraiser to feature machine guns

While I personally think it would be a hoot to pay $25 for the privilege of firing an Uzi for a spell, the laxity of gun control in NH does give cause for pause. Not too long ago I blogged about a tripple homicide that took place at a military surplus store in Conway, NH. Isn't it somehow ironic that an employee and patrons of a military surplus store are gunned down in a state that has virtually no gun control laws?

Here's a telling quote from the Yahoo article on the gun-fun fundraiser: "The state does not require buyers to obtain a handgun license or undergo safety training before buying a handgun."

I am not against gun ownership. However, I do believe in some form of gun control. To me, it's right up there with requiring people to get a driver's license. If you want to own and operate something that has the power to take away the life of another human being, you must prove to society that you understand how to operate that something in a responsible manner. And, just like there are people who are not allowed to drive through their disrespect of the driving laws, or due to a physical or mental issue that would prevent them from operating a motor vehicle in a safe and responsible manner, I believe that society has the right to judge if someone is fit to own a gun.

Not a difficult concept.

Still. $25 for the opportunity to go shoot an Uzi? (hee hee ... too bad there'd be so many Republicans there. I'd be uncomfortable, and I'd have a gun. Bad combination. JOKING!!!)

No comments: