Tuesday, July 17, 2007

We only hurt the ones we love

I love books. The last time we moved, we had over one hundred and thirty boxes of books. That was after we donated about twenty boxes.

I have recently begun playing with a new (for me) art form: Altered Books. The primary basis of this art form is to take a hard cover book and rip at least half the pages out, glue the remaining pages together in chunks of three or four. And then, to use paint, paste, and other collage-like techniques to express yourself.

I tried this for the first time this weekend at a workshop run by a friend from church. After I got over my initial reluctance, ripping pages out of the book was kind of fun. So was the gluing and the painting of the combined pages. I'm not sure where this is going, but the journey is enjoyable all the same.

-----------------------
UPDATE> Another link to explain the art form: Altered Book Artists

1 comment:

briwei said...

Not entirely sure I get the concept, even after looking at the site. You'll have to post pix of your work so we get it.

Even so, if you are having fun, go with it.

Don't think of it as destroying a book. Think of it as saving it from stem cell research. ;-)