Thursday, June 19, 2008

Feeling like a guilty vulture

In the last few days, there have been rumors that our CIO has been considering getting rid of my current team lead, aka Confused N. Months ago, before she was made interim team lead, Confused N and I were on the same page and relatively friendly. However, what is it they say about power corrupting people?

Our CIO is frustrated with Confused N's communication and organization issues. Plus, it's beginning to be common knowledge that her entire team is fighting with her at this point. She thinks that the source for strife is all my doing; and I think she's trying to make a case against me with upper management for that very reason. However, I think her frustrations with me, in some quarters, have become endorsements for me. (Not quite this bad, but similar to: The enemy of my enemy is my friend.) Besides, every meeting I've ever had with the CIO he has been extremely happy with my presentations and the strategies I've suggested (several to the dismay of Confused N).

I really don't want to see Confused N lose her job. However, I get the feeling that the writing is on the wall. Also, I really want to be free of her influence.

On the other hand, I think the CIO may like me a bit too much. There are talks about breaking up my team, and sending some portions of my team to another department. I am pretty integral to the function that would go to the other department. However, several options have been rumored about where I would stay in IT, while the rest of my sub-team would move to another department.

I don't want to stay. I want to go with my sub-team, not just because the function is close to my professional heart. I enjoy my sub-team, for one. For another, I think I would be happier in the other department where processes and procedures are more mature, and individual effort is more quickly recognized and rewarded. Also, there's a chance for me to move up to a formal management role in the other department. A chance that I think I want.

There's also a chance for me to go for a management role in IT. However, I do not think I want that role in that department. There are too many uncertainties. Plus, I'd probably spend very little time doing productive technical work. In the other department, I would be a technical lead: the best of both worlds, I think.

So, back to my guilt. I really want the CIO to pull the trigger on some of the things he's been contemplating about my team. Confused N has to go. And, my sub-team needs to move to another department, preferably with me as technical lead. If I have to stay in IT on another team, I may just have to stick my head in a blender.

No comments: