Monday, September 29, 2008

Music Project: 50s and 60s

Here are the songs that made the cut for our music project for the 1950s and the 1960s CDs:

1950's
Rolling Stone, Muddy Waters
Rag Mop, The Ames Brothers
Kansas City, Wilber Harrison
La Bamba, Richie Valens

Heartbreak Hotel, Elvis Presley
Get a Job, Silhouettes
Yakety Yak, The Coasters
Whole Lot of SHakin' Going On, Jerry Lee Lewis
Rock Around the Clock, Bill Haley
Roll Over Beethoven, Chuck Berry
Tutti-Frutti, Little Richard
Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
The Wanderer, Dion and the Belmonts
Splish Splash, Bobby Darin
Walkin' After Midnight, Patsy Cline
Lollipop, The Chordettes
Chantilly Lace, Big Bopper
Peggy Sue, Buddy Holly

1960's

The Twist by Chubby Checker (R&B 1960)
Cathy's Clown by the Everly Brothers (Pop 1960)
I Can't Get Next To You by the Temptations (R&B 1969)
Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In by the 5th Dimension (Pop 1969)

I Want to Hold Your Hand, the Beatles
Leader of the Pack, The Shangri-Las
I'm Into Something Good, Herman's Hermits
Big Girls Don't Cry, Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Surfin' USA, Beach Boys
19th Nervous Breakdown, Rolling Stones
My Generation, The Who
Respect, Aretha Franklin
Hello, I Love You by the Doors
The Star Spangled Banner by Jimi Hendrix
Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane
Come Together, the Beatles
Dance to the Music, Sly & The Family Stone
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly
The Dock of the Bay, Otis Redding
To Sir, With Love by Lulu
Mrs Robinson by Simon & Garfunkel


I do not claim to be comprehensive. I do not have an actual degree in Music History or Music Theory. However, I hope that I have hit the stylistic highlights/milestones of each decade. (Note: The second Beatles song really should have been Helter Skelter, but we couldn't get a copy of it!)

No comments: