Thursday, November 20, 2008

I couldn't have said it better myself

While I made the decision to divorce Microsoft at home, I felt somewhat wedded to it in the office. Until this week.

I work on a team of six full time IT Security professionals, with the addition of a co-op. One coworker uses a Mac, and runs the obligatory Windows software in a virtual environment. Another coworker eats from the Windows trough. But, our two incident handlers ditched Windows a long time ago. They run Ubuntu, and fire up a VM for the obligatory Windows crud our organization foists upon us. I had been running Windows, but had been considering my options (since making my decision for home).

Then, it happened. I discovered that some stealth infection had hit my Windows machine. The behavior had all the wrong signs, but none of our Windows virus tools picked up a thing. So, we had to refresh my system. The IH guys strongly suggested that I drink their Koolaid. And, I have agreed. When I go back to the office on Monday, I will be running an Ubuntu machine, with Windows in a VM for when I need to run Windows-only programs.

One of the IH guys forwarded a link to a ZDNet article that says it all: I Really Don't Want to Use Windows Anymore. Perfect! I couldn't have said it any better myself.

1 comment:

Monkeys in Paris said...

I'm happy. I understood about 50% of that. :)