Monday, November 17, 2008

Mixed success on the diet

I have been on a vegan, highly organic, diet for the last two weeks. I have also been gluten-free. What grains I did allow myself were whole and organic (mostly brown rice). And while I did not totally give up caffeine, I got it down to green (usually organic) tea in the a.m. only. Could I have been more restrictive in my eating habits? Sure. Could I have kept it up for any length of time? No way. I got as restrictive as I thought I could keep to.

I embarked on this quest in an attempt to fight chronic pain and inflammation, some digestive issues, and possibly as a means to lose a few pounds. I guess two out of three isn't bad.

I have lost about ten pounds in two weeks, and my tummy and I are on much better terms. Unfortunately, my pain situation has not changed much. Right now I am in enough pain to want to put my fist through a wall, just to have something else to think about.

I plan to stick with the vegan/organic thing for a few more days. I have enjoyed some serious tummy benefits, so I will probably fall back to this after Thanksgiving in one form or another.

But, to my fellow pain sufferers out there who were hoping for abatement through dietary restriction, it didn't do me a lick of good. Maybe you'd have better luck. It just didn't work for me.

2 comments:

RaineS said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but you might want to give it a few more weeks.... Dietary changes can be really slow to show results, and most people abandon the course long before it could show real benefits. Even in animals, with their revved up metabolisms and smaller bodies, a diet change needs 6-8 weeks to show any real changes. Food for thought, no pun intended.

Kitten Herder said...

CJ - You are probably right. But, I already know that I will not be able to follow the full diet during Thanksgiving week. I may be able to pick it back up come December.

I guess I picked a bad time to try to do a highly restrictive dietary regime. (I slipped this morning and had an omlet with cheese. My system may actually melt down - tee hee.)