Monday, August 21, 2006

Back to the gym!

Friday, I had an appointment with a personal trainer at my new gym. I wanted someone to help me refamiliarize myself with the equipment. Plus, much of the equipment was very new fangled, so I wasn't sure how some of it functioned.

My primary goals in returning to the gym are to strengthen my core (and hopefully combat the chronic back issues thereby) and to regain muscle tone. The trainer knew I had back problems, but she must not have realized how serious the issue is for me. She tried to get me to reverse sit-ups (where you lay across a piece of equipment on your stomach bent at the waist, and lift your torso until you are completely horizontal). This is not an exercise that my lower back takes kindly to. I did about five of them and told her I was done with those. She was a little surprised, and suggested ways to do them that would be less strain on my lower back. I nodded politely, while my brain said "when donkeys fly, you bimbo".

Still, I got a pretty good work out. And, here's the important thing to note, I went back and did it all again on my own today!

I hope to go every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

briwei said...

Rcok on! After three weeks I hear it becomes a habit. :)