Sunday, August 27, 2006

Convenience orafice

The english language is so versitile. We have dozens of ways to convey basically the same information. Some words or phrases are more straight forward than others. While I enjoy having a deep vocabulary at my disposal when trying to achieve an exact concept, I admit that utilizing such a vocabulary can put some people off. Not everyone has had the same broad exposure to the english language that I have. And even those who have had that exposure do not see the point in complicating one's communication with a fifty-cent word when a nickel word will do. (Then again, I admit that sometimes I misuse a word here or there.)

I for one believe that posted signage should use the most common language possible, so that the most people can grasp the meaning of the sign. Take the following sentence copied from a public rest room sign:


Please deposit adult absorbent material in the intended receptacle, located in the oversized cubicle.


Pardon my baseness here, but WTF? Why on Earth couldn't the sign simply read:


Please put adult diapers in the Diaper Genie in the large stall.


???

Pardon my potty mouth.

2 comments:

briwei said...

LOL! Because "adult diaper" is embarrasing to those wearing them.

Anonymous said...

LOL As another polysyllabic English language master, I concur fully: the PC polloi take offense at the label, "adult diaper."