Thursday, August 10, 2006

Got IM?

I never used to be a huge fan of instant messaging (IM) technology. However, in my last job, it was both professionally useful (asking for and getting assistance from other engineers who were also on the phone with customers) and personally necessary (relieve stress by goofing around with other people sereptitiously over IM).

My new shop is not quite as 'free wheeling' when it comes to personal use of corporate technology. Plus, since I am in the network security group, I think it might be poor form to engage in a behavior that I have concerns about from a corporate perspective.

Thankfully, I can engage in IM without installing actual IM software on my corporate computer. If you haven't heard of this site, jump on board the web-based IM train. Using a web interface, Meebo lets you sign on to Yahoo, MSN, AOL, and ICQ IM servers. No software to install!

I don't abuse the technology. I typically only sign on for 15-20 minutes later in the day for a mental break. Half the time, the folks I IM with are actually working and can't have a conversation. Still, it's nice to have the option to use IM without installing software on the corporate workstation (and thus violating many corporate edicts ... even though about half my organization seems to have some form of IM running).



UPDATE: Just to show how really cool this technology is Time Magazine listed Meebo as one of the 50 coolest web sites of 2006!!!

1 comment:

briwei said...

So, does this eliminate or just minimize the security risks inherent in IM software? I'd imagine that any IM worms that came out of this would have to exploit the IM protocol AND the browser, so my money is on minimize/reduce.