Saturday, August 19, 2006

Musically out of touch

I have been listening to audio books in the car for the last three or four months. In between, I've mostly been listening to favorite CDs. I feel totally out of touch with music. It makes me kind of twitchy, actually.

I guess the Fates wanted to help me out on this. My NEW CD player is acting up. It has issues with ejecting CDs. Sometimes it ignores my requests to do so. The player's been installed since May. We tried to find the receipt, but have lost track of it. Maybe we'll take it back to Best Buy tomorrow and make a fuss, all the same, since B purchased the thing on his Best Buy card.

Any way, I've been forced to listen to the radio in the car instead for the last day. I haven't found a station with tolerable new music yet. However, I do have to wonder if this is somehow meant to be.

Another way to 'catch up' is to listen to Pandora. I'll put in the names of a few new artists that I've managed to hear this weekend, and they'll play stuff by those artists and ones with similar qualities.

I also went over to Billboard and checked out the charts. They really are less-than-useful since their charts reflect sales, and high sales watermarks are usually achieved by rap, hip-hop, and dance, these days. I'm not against those genres of music. However, they're not core to my listening enjoyment.

So far, I've been intrigued by:


Panic! At the Disco
Finger Eleven
Blue October
Nina Gordon
!!! That really IS their name


Wish me luck in my pursuit of decent current music, and the repair of my CD player! Also, feel free to comment with the names of any groups that you've 'discovered' in the last year.

1 comment:

briwei said...

I'm less current than you are. But I do love Pandora because it's a way of listening to music that you ought to like.