Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Getting wet over a grocery store?

Yes. I meant that in the crassest way possible.

Since entering into the Ultrametabolism life style, I've been finding it difficult to acquire a wide enough variety of wholesome food. I know me. If I get bored eating the healthy stuff, I will be more inclined to fall off the wagon. So to speak.

A couple of the regional chain grocery stores have a fair sized health food section. Shaws and Hannaford complement each other's selection pretty well. Hannaford is actually a little bit better on produce, but Shaw's has a wider variety of some varieties of pantry foods.

That said, I usually make a trek to Trader Joes once every other week. Then, when I happen to be in Manchester, I go to A Market Natural Foods. And, when I'm in Nashua I hit up this little hole-in-the-wall store that is more about supplements than food, but it does have some things that the chains don't carry.

I had heard that there was a Whole Foods near my new job. I'd been meaning to swing by on my way home, but I've been so focused on just getting home that I haven't wanted to take the side trip. Until ... today!

Whole Foods is easily as large as some of the conventional chain grocery stores. However, they pride themselves on focusing their selection on healthier products. Most of their produce is either locally grown conventional stuff or organic (sometimes both organic and locally grown). They have a huge butcher case full of healthily raised meats (no hormones or antibiotics in anything and free range poultry). Excellent looking seafood. Boatloads of healthy varieties of snacks. A fantastic smelling bakery. Great prepared foods for the busy, albeit spoiled, gourmet consumer.

I was low on cash, so I limited myself to a couple of things I just HAD to have. I picked up three bags of Guiltless Gourmet Baked Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips. Those suckers are hard to find. I've only seen them at Trader Joe's. I also got some organic mission figs, and some organic salsa (to go with the chips, of course).

I felt like a kid in a candy shop. Strange metaphor at this point, considering that candy is (pretty much) out of my life for good. :)

No comments: