Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Patience is a virtue

For those of you who know me at all, prepare to shout out the big "Duh!" I am not a patient person. It is something I constantly stuggle with. When I want something I want it now. This has led to numerous issues in my life (out of control credit card debt being the nastiest side effect - but that's getting WAY better).

My latest wrestle with the "I want it now" demon is the weight loss thing. I am down nearly twenty pounds since the beginning of the year. While part of my brain understands that this is a significant accomplishment, I want the weight loss to move faster. The first two weeks I lost twelve pounds. Ergo, I want to lose six pounds a week until I reach my goal. But, any one who knows anything about lowering your calorie intake can tell you, you will lose big in the beginning, and then you'll level off. Sorry. The "I want it now" demon doesn't listen to reason.

I am losing between one and three pounds a week now. Nutritionists say between a half a pound and two pounds a week is reasonable and healthy. Yeah. Right. Blah, blah, blah.

The exercise option is sounding more appealing. I guess that's another strike against the potential two-hour-commute job. When would I have time to exercise? I currently leave the house at 7 and get home around 5:30. If I was doing a 6-6 (or 7-7) stint out of the house, that'd be even less time to devote to exercise. Plus I'd be that much more tired when I got home. So .... the two-hour-commute job would be a good excuse not to exercise, right ;) ?

Tomorrow is the inteview. Hopefully, I have the energy afterwards to post how that went tomorrow night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck on the interview; if nothing else, having choices is good. I still think a two hour commute is insane -- but hearing they want you is a real morale booster.

briwei said...

One thing to be careful about when adding exercise. If you go too hard, you may make yourself hungrier and eat disproportionately to the calories burned.

Something I've heard works for the WW folks when they are stalled. It could mean your body is going into conservation mode. Throw a high calorie, but still healthy day in. It shakes up your metabolism into thinking it should burn calories because there's plenty. Then you go back to being stingy and it takes a few days to catch up.