Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The back pain remains

So, after dropping 45 pounds, I had hoped that I would experience some diminishment in my chronic back pain. Unfortunately, there has been absolutely NO improvement on that front.

Due to the change in jobs and health insurance, I decided to go see a different pain-management doctor, Dr Pho. He's with my current health plan, and will be with my new one when that kicks in at the end of the month. My former pain-management physician (an actual physiatrist) will not be on my new insurance.

Dr Pho suggested that I give trigger point injections a try. I've had cortisone shots before. I had one in my foot for a heel spur. I was supposed to have one in the other foot as well. However, I threatened the podiatrist with physical harm if he attempted to get near my other foot after what the first shot felt like. The physiatrist gave me cortisone shots in my hips to see if they would alleviate the referential pain I experience there as a result of my back issues. The shots improved things for a couple of weeks, but not so much so that I thought it would be worth doing them on a regular basis.

Dr Pho is actually going to inject my lower back in several places. And yes, I decided that I was game for another attempt. I figured this week was a good time to give it a try, since I don't need to be anywhere. And, who knows, maybe it'll help. Or maybe it'll help for a short time. It'd be nice to have several weeks of relief from that pain while I adjust to my new job.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

No comments: