Monday, July 24, 2006

Smooth, if tiring, first day

My first day at my new job went pretty well. From here on out I will refer to it as the Center. I spent a good chunk of the day doing 'on boarding' bureaucratic stuff. I've got some more of that to do tomorrow, and a big dog and pony orientation one morning next week.

My boss, M, introduced me around to a lot of nice folks. I'll be sharing an office with a nice guy whose skills complement mine pretty well. I just need to convince him that florescent lights are bad. We have a big lovely window as a light source. If he can't be convinced, I can always disconnect the bulbs over my desk like I did at my last job. (grin)

After talking with M, I feel confident that I can handle what's expected of me. It really does sound like my experience and the role I now have will be a good fit. Still quite a challenge, but not an insurmountable one.

Our group went out to lunch. We invited along someone I knew from years ago who happens to be working at the new place. It was very odd. I heard he was working there. Then, I spied him across the way while I was doing some of my HR stuff. And then, he showed up in my group area to say 'hi'. Turns out, our old boss, C, called him and told him I would be starting today and that he should look me up. Wild.

I also know someone else in our division. I interviewed D for a position at my last company last summer. He is also friends with someone who is still there.

Then, someone else who knows C asked to meet me, because C mentioned to her that one of 'his people' would be starting at the new place today. She's been at the Center for over a decade. She met C when he worked there too back in the 90s. Her office is ten feet from mine.

So, small world, no?

No comments: