Friday, November 23, 2007

Don't just recycle: Freecycle

We all know that we should be recycling, but to kick your environmentalism up a notch consider freecycling. What is that? Well freecycling is when you have some tangible good that is still functional but you no longer want it, so you offer it up to the community of freecyclers instead of tossing it out.

I had heard about freecycling, but wasn't inspired to try it until today. My son has a fish tank that he ignores. The only reason we kept it this long is because our younger cat likes to watch the fish. However, I have been growing weary of nagging my son to take care of the fish, or doing it myself. So, today, I offered the tank, fish, and all the accoutrements on my local Yahoo-based freecycle list. Within 30 minutes I had two people willing to come and take it. Within two hours, I'd picked up another half a dozen inquiries.

The fish tank will be gone in another couple of hours. However, my freecycling days are just beginning. This could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's a great resource. The inverse of freecycling is Garbage Scout, which is also rather nice.

briwei said...

Love the Freecycle. WTG 2U for joining in.