Monday, November 26, 2007

Happy Dance of Relief

OK. I know that I already posted today. Some would say "Save it for tomorrow", but I just can't!

Tonight was my last class of the semester. I emailed my final paper in on Sunday (OK, I mailed it in on Saturday and then sent him a revision on Sunday). Tonight we had to give presentations on our papers. I was a little nervous. Though I know the material like the back of my hand, I don't like 'speaking' plus I was unsure how my conclusion was going to go over.

It turns out that I obsessed for no reason, yet again. First off, there are only three other students in my class. It was very informal and nearly even fun (though I went last when everyone was exhausted and wanted to go home). I focused on my most copacetic classmate and directed my presentation towards her. That helped immensely since she's always been very interested in my topic. While I got a rough start, I am VERY passionate about my topic. Towards the end I got to present the data points that piss me off the most about Indian health care. When I was done the group threw several questions at me that I had no problem answering. And, my conclusion was well received by all.

The basic premise of my paper was: "Is the Indian Healthcare System a good model for universal health care for the U.S. as a whole?" My conclusion was: "IHS is WAY broken and most of the U.S. would not put up with the rationing and health status that American Indian/Alaska Natives have had to put up with. In my paper I also had to discuss what would fix the system. ... Like I know. However, I took a stab at a few things and we discussed them after my presentation. The instructor and class liked what I said.

So, I have to say, I'm pretty sure I got that "A" that I usually obsess about when I take a class. Woot!

January 5th, I can start obsessing about the next class.

3 comments:

barbie2be said...

yay for you! i am going back to school in january. because i am obivously insane. and my first three classes are MATH! oh my god, i could just die. i am so mathematically challanged. but the pre req for all my culinary classes is algebra and there is no way i could pass that without first taking fundamentals of math and some other stupid math to get me to algebra. WTF was i thinking????

briwei said...

Congrats! And nice work. So, what DID you think would fix it? And how were the other presentations?

Kitten Herder said...

The three other presentations were all over the map. One was short and to the point (kind of unsatisfying). One was a perfect length with just the right amount of passion and information presented. And, finally, one rambled on and on, saying a lot but having little focus (she went for an hour!).

Mine went a bit longer than I wanted it to, and wasn't as focused in the beginning as it should have been. However, the data I threw at them in the middle got everyone fired up. See today's full post for answer to Briwei's other question.