Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I used to read one book at a time

My good friend Cobwebs hooked me up with Good Reads as a means of peering into each other's reading lists.

There are several book-ish sites out there. Previously, I tried out Shelfari. What I like about Good Reads is the multiple shelf approach. The default shelves include: Read It, Reading, and To Read. You can also make up your own shelves (ex. Recommended by a Friend, Feel Guilty for Not Reading, etc.)

Currently, my Currently Reading shelf has gotten ridiculous. I used to read one book at a time. I swore by this approach. If I had more than one book going, I found myself easily confused, mish-mashing the contents of the multiple books I was reading. Apparently, I have become much more adept at task (re: book) switching. Here is what I am currently in the process of reading:


  • Scattered Minds: Hope and Help for Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder by Adler, Lenard (started two days ago)

  • The Joy of Drinking by Holland, Barbara (started reading last fall - distracted by other things, nearly done though)

  • The Protector's War by Stirling, S.M. - (started reading over a year ago - not as good as the first book in the series, hope to finish by Xmoose)

  • The Holy Road by Blake, Michael (started reading on vacation last week - nearly done!)

  • How to Read a French Fry: And Other Stories of Intriguing Kitchen Science by Parsons, Russ (started reading this April - got distracted by school reading)

  • The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Ackerman, Diane (started reading this winter - got distracted by school reading)

  • The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son by Gilmour, David (Started reading about a month ago)

  • Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz (started listening to this in the car this week



I think I may actually be in the midst of a couple of other books. These eight are just the ones that I remember. I have a huge stack of reading materials in the bathroom (yes, I am one of those weird people) and next to the exercise bike. Most of the stacks consist of periodicals. However, there are monographs wedged within the mixes of each.

I really do like to read (either with my eyes or with my ears). There's something very satisfying about cramming new ideas and information into my head. I used to prefer fiction a bit more than non-fiction. Now, I think the scales have shifted in the opposite direction.

Looking at the length and diversity of the list, I guess Grendel is not the only member of our household who currently abides with ADD.

3 comments:

MandM Mom said...

I just started finding joy in reading. Prior to events in April I had read like 5 books in less than 2 months. I highly doubt I could keep up with what you are juggling. NICE

Anonymous said...

And then I go without updating my own list for months at a time because I have a four-year-old and don't have time to read anything more lengthy than Hop on Pop.

Nice list. I'm impressed.

Summer said...

I love to read but only one book at a time. Right now reading Hold Tight by Harlan Coben. I love anything Dean Koontz.