OK. Maybe not. But, it is a great quote.
While it is easier to write about what is NOT good in my life, I thought it would be refreshing to spend a few minutes focusing on what IS good in my life.
The main things:
- My spouse - who is patient and forgiving of me
- My son - who is smart, courteous and upbeat
- My cats - one of whom is sweet and the other who is silly
Things that make me smile:
- Watching familiar movies over and over again
- Listening to favorite tunes in the car and singing along, even though I sing horribly
- Colorful skies during sunrise or sunset
- The combination of a warm bed, a pain free back, and a good night's sleep (hard to obtain, making it all the more appreciated)
- Quoting favorite movies with good friends
- Soaking in a hot tub
- Being able to make people laugh
- Playing word games
- Fresh salmon sushi that melts in your mouth
- The sound of the surf on the beach
I need to remember all these things when transitory annoyances threaten to ruin my overall outlook. Good things and bad things happen in life. What's important is who you are at the core of your being. I am striving for that core to be a person with a positive outlook and a love of the wonders of life. That is my beach. The rest is just the surf that comes and goes and comes again.