Monday, October 15, 2007

Blog action for the environment

Today is Blog Action Day. The theme is the environment.

I used to be a better environmental citizen. However, two years ago we moved to a town where the recycling station is on the other side of town. So, I try to justify my lazy-unwillingness to drive across town by saying that all the gas I would consume driving there would cancel out the virtuosity of the recycling. (Can’t you hear John Lovitz saying, “Yeah, that’s the ticket!”)

Anyway, I decided to check out the energy saving tips from the Sierra Club. And what do you know? I am doing some virtuous stuff from the list. Almost every light bulb in our house is a compact fluorescent. Almost all of our appliances are less than two years old, and we went for energy efficient models when we bought them. Also, we are using a low flow shower head.

Could we do more? You bet! One of the things we are planning on doing is reapportioning the electrical plugs for our entertainment center so that everything but the cable box and the TiVo are on a powerstrip that we leave turned off. Solid state electrical equipment, such as stereos and televisions, sucks up lots of power. I’m also pretty bad about not shutting down my home computer when I leave the house. So, I’ve committed to change my evil ways.

Even one little thing, over time, can make a big difference. Is there ‘one little thing’ that you could commit to do to conserve energy? The planet (and your power bill) will thank you.

No comments: