Thursday, October 25, 2007

Celebrity justice

When it comes to justice, our children learn that if you are a celebrity, or if you are just plain rich, the system is nicer to you than it is to the rest of the population. Today's evidence: Britney Spears avoids hit-and-run trial. Because the pop princess finally got around to paying for the other driver's damages she doesn't have to deal with the hit and run charge, but they are holding her accountable for driving without a valid license at the time.

Excuse me? Since she has since gotten a license, why don't they let her off on that too?

When I was young and stupid, I bumped a car in the parking lot of my job and didn't get out to look. I did a total of $130 worth of damage to the other car (26 years ago). The next day, the police were standing beside my car in the lot talking to the driver of the other car. I went out and apologized for what I had done. The driver said she only called the police in order to determine who to contact about the damages. I gave her my info, but the police wrote me up with a mandatory court appearance. The other driver offered to appear in my defense, saying how cooperative I was after the fact. Also, I presented the judge with my stellar school history and my previously clean driving record (at the ripe age on 19). I ended up with a lenient $150 fine and four points on my license. And, I DESERVED it.

What positive things does the pop princess have to offer in her defense? Is she a good mother? Does she have a clean and community oriented public persona? Has she complied with the law under other circumstances (hrm... What about oversleeping through drug test appoitments?) Does she have any positive redeeming social value?

*sigh* I don't know why I let this crap bother me, other than the fact that I don't like the message that it sends to our kids. Celebrity and wealth should not exempt you from justice. Neither should political office, but that's a whole BUNCH of other blog posts.

No comments: