Thursday, October 18, 2007

Spam for breakfast

Spam. No, I am not writing about unwanted email. I am referring to the much maligned meat-in-a-can. Spam is one of those foods that I grew up with that both disgusts and attracts me. About once or twice a year I get a craving for the stuff. The traditional mélange of meat and gelatin is high in fat and sodium, which is definitely not good for your health (much less your self-respect).

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store picking up some snacks for my son. He's going on a trip this weekend too, with a bunch of teenagers and a few chaperones from our church. While in the store, I stumbled on the Spam offerings. Yes, multiple varieties. I have been suffering from the craving of late, but had yet to give in. Then, I saw it. The stuff that might satisfy the craving but could subtract at least part of the guilt (but not the shame, mind you):

I bought a can of the lite junk. I put it in the refrigerator last night, since I much prefer the crud cold. This morning, I popped the top of the can. (Sends shivers down your spine, and revulsion through your digestive tract, doesn't it?) To my surprise there was no congealed gelatinous goo surrounding the compressed meat product. And the 'meat' filled the entire can, which did make it more difficult to wrestle out.

I am certain I will regret this, but I am consuming some with breakfast this morning (along with some virtuous oatmeal). It doesn't taste that different from what I remember of the 'Classic' variety, so I'm sure that it will repeat on me in an hour and I'll remember why I only eat this stuff about once a year. (grin)

5 comments:

briwei said...

y official comment shall consist of one word.

"Ew!"

RaineS said...

When I was a kid, we would occasionally get, as a special treat, SPAM. My dad would fry slices of SPAM as part of what we called "big breakfast": fried eggs, fried SPAM, fried potatoes, toast. I still get a hankering once in a while for the stuff, although I haven't indulged in probably 20 years.

Summer said...

I agree....
eeeewwwwww!
My husband loves it though.

barbie2be said...

call me a freak, but i love spam.

Dad Stuff said...

You can't beat pan fried Spam.