Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Freak of nature

Every 6-10 years, I get a new dentist, usually because of a change of address that makes the former dentist's office an inconvenience. Every time I get a new dentist, I get remarks about the number of relatively straight permanent adult teeth in my mouth. I have thirty two. That is actually the number of teeth an adult should have. Unfortunately, most people I know had problems with the eruption of their last sets of molars, also known as wisdom teeth. Either they didn't have room for them in their mouths or they came in sideways. A few people just don't get that last set. Lucky them.

Mine came in during high school and college. My gums itched like mad. But, there was room, so there they are. Some would say that I had room because I have a big mouth!

Wisdom teeth are dying out, from an evolutionary standpoint. More and more people are just not getting them. They used to be an advantage. But now, for most people, they are just a pain in the mouth

I, however, am a proud freak of nature. The only time I'm not proud of my 'extra' teeth is whenever the dentist wants to take a mold of my teeth. They have to put in extender trays that cut into the rear of my mouth. Darned inconvenient. But, alas, it is the price I pay for the bragging rights. Maybe the wisdom teeth explain my sharpness of mind? ... nah, probably not. Amusing anecdote, though.

No comments: