Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Whatever happened to Fay Wray?

How many of you are old enough to remember going to a double feature at the movies, drive-in or otherwise? I think I was still in elementary school the last time that was a viable option.

A few months ago Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino put out an intentional schlock double feature called "Grindhouse". It looked classic. Rodriguez's piece on it's own was called "Planet Terror". Tarantino's piece was called "Death Proof". While I love B grade action movies, and virtually anything either of these guys can put out. The 191 minute combined running time was more than my back or bladder could take ... in the theater. Both are now available individually on DVD. I think I'll rent them both together so I can watch them as they were intended, as a double feature.

Have you ever thought to watch two movies back to back, at home, that weren't intended to go together? I like to, at least mentally, come up with my own double features. Here are just a few that come to mind. Feel free to add your own pairings.


  • Life of Brian
    Dogma
  • Better Off Dead
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  • Sixteen Candles
    Can't Hardly Wait
  • Philadelphia Story
    Sabrina
  • Class
    Mrs Robinson
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Meet Joe Black
  • The Road Warrior
    Resident Evil: Extinction
  • Shoot 'Em Up
    Smokin' Aces
  • Go
    Two Hundred Cigarettes
  • Cruel Intensions
    Dangerous Liasons
  • Big
    Thirteen Going on Thirty
  • 28 Days Later
    Dawn of the Dead
  • The Long Kiss Goodnight
    The Bourne Identity
  • Some Kind of Wonderful
    Pretty in Pink
  • Babette's Feast
    Big Night
  • Purple Rain
    Flashdance

1 comment:

Summer said...

Drive-ins were the best when I was a kid. We made our own popcorn to take and wore our jammies. Then one by one they started showing x-rated movies. The last one I saw was Doctor Doolittle.