Sunday, December 07, 2008

A political appointment I can definitely live with

While I was not initially supportive of Obama's choice of Hillary Clinton for Secretary of State, I have adjusted to the idea. The final event that will make it more than all right is that it looks like Clinton's Senate seat will probably go to Caroline Kennedy. I have admired Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg over the years for staying out of the public eye, and then for coming forward when she found herself inspired by Obama. I did kind of question her credentials when she was put on his VeeP selection committee. However, I think Joe Biden was an excellent choice.

I have been impressed with some of Obama's other cabinet appointments (and not so much by others). Though many of his choices seem like he is resurrecting the Bill Clinton White House, others will inject new perspective into the Executive Branch I think. Now I have even more reason to read Dorris Goodwin's Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Let's hope that this team of powerful, and powerfully opinionated, people remember who their boss is and stick to his vision. Obama will listen to their experienced voices, but they will all need to follow his lead when the rubber hits the road.

The next four years are going to be very interesting.

No comments: