Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The cure for a bad day

OK. It's been a week. I'm beginning to experience cracks in my PPT veneer. I won't go into details, but I had a very discouraging day at work (and the next few days don't look promising either).

I had signed up for a collage workshop this evening. In order to grab some dinner and make it there comfortably on time, I needed to leave work at 4 p.m., sharp. Sadly, I was in the middle of an extreme disaster, which I managed to extricate myself from around 4:25. Part of me was very stressed, angry, upset, and depressed about the entire situation. I briefly considered bailing on the workshop, and just unwinding at home. Then I realized what a horrendously stupid idea that would be.

I stopped by my house to change my clothes, as planned. I drove to the workshop, and ordered some incredibly-bad-for-me, carb rich, Asian food from a nearby restaurant. Our workshops are pretty informal, so it's just fine to eat and drink (wine available at the workshop) while you create. Which is exactly what I did. Collaging is just what I needed to break out of my funk. Of course, the wine and evil food stuffs helped too!

Lesson learned: Never short change yourself on personal time because of an apparent lack of time or other external factors. Those are the times that a commitment to yourself is important to follow through with.

Here's what I worked on at the workshop. I don't think it's quite finished. If I work on it some more, I may post the updated version later.

3 comments:

barbie2be said...

that's a very cool collage. :) you have inspired me to go home tonight and finish my postcard framing project.

Unknown said...

Way to go! What a turn around from a negative to a positive post. Free time, wine, creative non-competative endeavor? Awesome!

Kitten Herder said...

Don't pat yourself on the back too briskly. I have been enjoying the challenge. But, you know my true nature will have to break out sooner or later. And, who knows how big the backlash will be since I have been exhibiting such colossal restraint over the last week. (grin)