Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Power of Positive Thinking - Day One

A good friend made an observation about my blog. She said that I have a tendency to complain or rant, and that I almost never post about good things that happen. Upon quick reflection, I totally agreed with her. I am usually much more inspired to write when I have something I want to complain about.

I think that I've always been a "glass is half empty" kind of person, and that is kind of a sad and stupid thing. I really do have a pretty good life. I have a wonderful husband and a pretty cool teenage son. I'm in a career that is interesting, for which I am well paid. I live in a nice house, in area that I would choose over all others. Oh, and we have two really nice cats (one of whom is the best, most enjoyable, cat I've ever encountered on the planet).

My friend challenged me to identify "3 things that happened during the day for which you are grateful, learned something, or which you enjoyed." For me this WILL be a challenge, I admit. But, I totally see her point and believe in the benefit of changing my focus (at least for a while). So, here goes (though, I'm going to bend the rules and focus on the last 24 hours, since late yesterday had some good stuff):


  1. I met two women at the conference yesterday that I really enjoyed talking to. The one woman offered me her email address out of the blue, which really made me happy. I don't have a lot of female friends in technology. So, it's great to meet another woman in the field and to hit it off.
  2. On the way home last night, I detoured to the YMCA and worked out. Normally, I work out during my lunch hour at work. I really needed the exercise. I enjoyed the workout so much that I stayed a little longer than I originally planned. Plus, the YMCA has a whirlpool, which I had all to myself for the entire twenty minutes that I basked in its glories.
  3. This morning, I missed the train that I caught on Monday and Tuesday. I did not let it bother me in the least (very unusual for me). Instead, I grabbed a snack at the Dunkin Donuts in the station, and leisurely walked to the next train that was scheduled to leave twenty minutes after the one that I missed.

Now, let me make one positive comment about the commuting hell that I posted yesterday. The BEST thing about all this public transportation stuff has been all the time I've gotten to spend with my beloved MP3 player. I've listened to several programs from Audible that I've been meaning to get around to. AND, I am looking forward to the remaining commute time this week to listen to some more great programming.

So, if it seems like I only ever rant, please accept my apologies. It is easy for me to write when I have something to rant about. I do have positive and joyful experiences throughout my day. It just doesn't really occur to me very often to write about them. For shame!

No comments: