Thursday, August 23, 2007

A surreal turn from a poor start

Today started off VERY poorly. I have IBS (if you don't know don't ask), and today was one of THOSE days. I haven't been sleeping well lately. Last night was another one of the most recent in a two week stretch of barely six hour adventures.

My best intentions to leave for work at my normal time got further turned upside down. Though I was completely packed and the car was warmed up, I found myself back in bed at 8 a.m. wishing for just a few hours of recuperative sleep so I could try to re-approach the day from a fresh start. Much to my surprise, the condo maintenance crew began working on the scrapping and prep work for repainting our building at about 8:30 a.m. Some of this prep work involved banging nails back into the siding. So, by 9 a.m., I gave up and decided to go to work.

I took the trip leisurely. Traffic was lovely by that time of morning. Even with a stop at the gas station to fill up, it only took me 45 minutes to get in (when it normally takes my 60).

Several coworkers asked why I came in when it was apparent that I was under the weather. I expressed my dedication to several tasks, and proceeded to have a blast with my day. I think in my sleep-deprived delirium I was a bit punchy. I accomplished the tasks that had inspired me to drive in. I avoided contact with all who annoyed me (on the pretext that I really wasn't feeling well). And, then I left at 3 p.m. I had a physical therapy appointment, plus my brain was pretty useless by that point.

Perhaps there's something to be said for short-but-focused days. Then again, I really could use some sleep about now.

No comments: