Thursday, August 30, 2007

I have a child in HIGH SCHOOL!!!

My son is officially in high school. I'm aghast. When did this happen?

He seems to be totally comfortable with the transition. Though he is a bit whiney about the extra workload, especially since he had homework on day one.

I sometimes cannot get over how tall he has gotten, or that his voice is cracking and changing. Sometimes he is a complete airhead. Other times, he offers to take care of things out of the blue, which totally shocks me.

He has the day off from school tomorrow. I wish I had a four day weekend to look forward to. Then again, he is grounded. Long story. Basically got caught riding his bike when he was already prohibited from riding his bike. So, I guess that puts him on double-secret grounding.

I joke around with him frequently that I would gladly sell him to gypsies. On the other hand, it is wildly interesting watching this person (whose diapers that I changed) slowly come out of his cocoon and change into a proto-adult. Mind you, he has a LONG way to go. ... Maybe this will be my final chance in learning patience. :D

2 comments:

RaineS said...

I know. WE aren't OLD enough to have kids this old. Well, okay. We are old enough, just maybe not mature enough.

Seriously, I am right there with you. The changes the last six months have brought into our world are amazing: 4 inches in height, a new very deep voice, a mustache, a new-found confidence and maturity. He's still a kid, and still screws up. But he is also an interesting, funny person in his own right, with stuff to say.

Enjoy this time, because I can see the glimmer of the end. Our children will continue to grow, and in a few short short years, they will move on from our world to their own.

Summer said...

My boys are both seniors, in college and high school. When I hear their deep voices in the house often my first thought is, "who are these men in my house?" My hardest thing to deal with in when mom was not the most important person in thier lives. High school flies by!