Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Revisiting The Deathly Hallows

I head up my church's book discussion group. We normally only read books that are readily available in paperback, so as to be available to the most people (economically speaking). However, we make an exception about once a year or so when something truly noteworthy comes along. This month, we HAD to discuss the last Harry Potter book.

In all honesty, I ripped through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows so quickly the weekend that it came out that I decided that I needed to re-read it for our talk to night. I was only about a hundred or so pages into it by the meeting. However, I will be finishing the book for a second time. It really is quite good.

Everyone liked the book, though a few people were confused by the end. And, one or two people thought that Rowling rushed to deliver all the details to the reader in the last two chapters. Several people pointed to the numerous examples of literary borrowing (the Horcrux locket being much like the one ring in LOTR, or the sword of Griffondor being like Excalibur in Arthurian legend). Never mind, it was all brilliantly stitched together with well developed characters and well-paced plotting, except maybe for the overdone interminable camping scenes (nearly everyone agreed on this point).

I'm looking forward to this one being made into a movie. Can't wait to see how much they'll feel like they can get away with cutting. Maybe just most of the camping, huh?

No comments: